Archive

Sunday 8 January 2012

Brunei, Day 1. Bandar Seri Begawan

Well, first there was the usual (?) long distance (medium distance, in all honesty) air-travel craziness that's probably very familiar to many of you, but was novel for me. I eventually arrived in Bandar Seri Begawan, the capital of Brunei, via Singapore, on the Seventh of Jan. My bag came a day later.

Unlike Singapore, when I was sitting outside the Brunei airport today waiting for my luggage to arrive, I experienced that thrilling feeling of being other. English subtended rather than over-topped the Brunei Malay and arabic signage and I was the only Pakeha in the seating. Before the incoming flight landed, I might have been the only Pakeha at the terminal.

Here is some photos & footage of a few critters and plants I've come across round the lodgings (University accommodation).

Below Mimosa pudica. A pan-tropical weed, but still entertaining. Found here infesting the lawn behind the tower block where I'm housed.


Here are the flowers:

Mimosa pudica

Next, a couple of random lizard pics. One group (the ones I've seen may be all the same species, for all I yet know) like hanging out on shrubs and trees. They have these really long, thin tails. I saw one holding their tail out at an angle to the trunk, and it was jerking gently in the wind. Coincidence or something more cunning?

They swivelled around the trunk in response to my movement

Random basking lizard. Same species as above? In any case it's a larger animal.


Finally, two dead, more-or-less unidentified beetles found in the stairwell.

Lateral view of Rhinoceros beetle (Dynastinae sp.). Male.
Anterior view of Rhinoceros beetle (Dynastinae sp.). Male. Amazing fore-claws and an almost sweet countenance.

Unkown beetle 1. Maybe a female Dynastinid?
The hind legs of Unknown beetle 1.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment