Archive

Thursday 12 January 2012

Brunei, Day 4. Bandar Seri Begawan

The evening brought a visit to the night market last night and I got to gorge myself on tropical fruits. Mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana) were my favourite although the fresh Borneo Durian, Rambutan (Nephelium lappaceum) and the Buah Tarap were very tasty.


Mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana)
Rambutan (Nephelium lappaceum)

Earlier in the day we went past the Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque....



... that ain't gold paint on the dome.

We also visited an Island in the Brunei estuary to check out the Mangrove forest there. Sadly we saw no Proboscis monkeys which may dwell there. We did see plenty of snails, mud skippers and a few horse-shoe crabs. There  was also Dischidia  there, although at the time I didn't know what I was looking at.

Regarding the picture of the ants in the post from day 2: The tree whose leaves they are busy making a house from is actually an very, very invasive Acacia, A. mangium. A conference participant told me those ants aren't local either....

No comments:

Post a Comment